Left Behinds

The anti-andrewsullivan.com. Or, the Robin Hood (Maid Marian?) of bright pink Blogger blogs.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Bummer

Serious Left Behindiacs (Behinders?) know my fondness for Chris Owens. I was excited to get to cast a meaningful vote for someone who represents a lot of what I believe. Unfortunately, in my recent move I seem to have edged over the border from CD-11 to CD-12, and as far as I know there isn't a single meaningful race over here. I can't even remember the last time I cast a vote for a candidate I really liked in a race where my vote could potentially make a difference. Is that the case for many of you? How often do you feel like your vote could actually matter?

Incidentally, is the 12th not the most ridiculously gerrymandered district you've ever seen (except for possibly Jerry Nadler's 8th)? Is there any conceivable justification for including two noncontiguous chunks of Manhattan along with two noncontiguous chunks of Brooklyn? Are there not court cases about this kind of thing?

7 Comments:

  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    So don't change your voter registration.

    I'm such a problem-solver.

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    Too late. I found out when I got my registration form back in the mail.

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Just re-re-register, and get your mail forwarded from your old place.

    If there's a problem
    Yo I'll solve it.

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Oh, and definitely, definitely don't let anyone know about it.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    Um, I support Chris Owens wholeheartedly, but maybe not quite enough to commit voter fraud.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    I repeat: Which side are you on when it comes to the war on terror?

     
  • At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the pieces of Brooklyn and Manhattan are not non-contiguous, they just get very thin in places (pretty much just waterfront). And, you forgot that there is a piece of Queens too.

    Forget the court case though. One of the prior versions of this district was thrown out by the US supreme Court. What we have here is essentially the updated model of the version that the courts found OK.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com