Left Behinds

The anti-andrewsullivan.com. Or, the Robin Hood (Maid Marian?) of bright pink Blogger blogs.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

NY-11

I think this is an endorsement of David Yassky in the NY-11 primary. It's one of the most entertainingly backhanded endorsements I've ever read, though.

Yassky arrived in Brooklyn Heights in the late 90s, about 15 minutes after being defeated for the District of Columbia School Board. A perhaps apocryphal story is told of how Yassky came to run for the City Council. He and his wife Diana had just finished unpacking, when Diana said “David, I chilled a bottle of Pinot when we arrived, why don’t you go out and get a brie, and we’ll celebrate.” Yassky walked up the Joralemon Street hill toward Hicks Street and suddenly looked lost. A stranger approached him and asked him if he needed help. Yassky asked “Do you know a good gourmet shop around here?” The stranger replied “go left on Montague and check out Lassen and Hennings.” Yassky thanked him and then thought to himself “Gee, this neighborhood’s been good to me; it’s time I gave something back”.


Then again, it might be an endorsement of Chris Owens. I'm not really sure. This earlier analysis, also by Gatemouth, does nothing to clarify the issue, but it does nail the Brooklyn Paper.

I once was walking on the Promenade when I stepped onto a copy of the Brooklyn Paper. Luckily, there was some dogshit laying around or I’d have had nothing to wipe my shoe with.


At some point, Solomon, you're going to have to admit that Room Eight has picked up for The Politicker pretty well.

Tags: NY-11, New York, Chris Owens, David Yassky, politics

8 Comments:

  • At 11:39 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Heh. That second Gatemouth quote did indeed make me laugh out loud.

    He was definitely the best, funniest commenter on Politicker.

    My problem with R8 is that there isn't much (any?) quality control, so you end up having to sort through many less-inspired posts. Ben, while never particularly funny, was consistently punchy and knowledgable.

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    I just read his whole posts. That guy knows his 11th district.

    Do you know what his personal story is? I don't quite understand how these bloggers can have such insiderey knowledge about NYC politics yet apparently have massive amounts of free time every day to blog. Most political staffers I know are very, very busy.

    What's Gatemouth's day job, I wonder.

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    No idea what his story is. You should ask him.

    Room Eight lacks quality control by design. Anybody can set up a handle and blog there. If it gets very popular they'll probably have to switch to some kind of rating system like other open group blogs use, but for now they're small enough that you can skip over the dross easily enough.

     
  • At 12:49 AM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    I can't just ask him. The Politicker commenters were always so mean.

    I'll give R8 more of a chance, though. Maybe I'll bookmark Gatemouth and EnWhySeaWonk's blogs. They were always my favorites...

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    Thanks for the kind words. Without getting into specifics, how do you know so much about the 11th?

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Why, hello.

    Yes, I would be a pretty orthodox leftist, except that I have a fatal fondness for wit.

    I hadn't heard of AJ, but a quick Google reveals her to be "a nut-case fan who used to stalk Dylan and rake through his garbage." Sweet.

    David Yassky's trash bins must not be very good pickins, though.

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Heh. I take it Chris disposes of her used containers of Manic Panic hair dye somewhere more discreet... And what did she do with Kim Catullo's old Tales From the City VHS tapes?

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Oh I see. I preferred imagining what Chris Quinn and Kim Catullo did with those Quaker Oats...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com