Left Behinds

The anti-andrewsullivan.com. Or, the Robin Hood (Maid Marian?) of bright pink Blogger blogs.

Friday, September 29, 2006

GRRRRRNMMMPGGHNPHMMMPMFPHMPH!!!!



Believe it or not, the best part isn't the video itself. It's that I found it when I visited Andrew Sullivan for his depressing take on the torture bill. He linked with the following words.

Testosterone and Brain Cells
29 Sep 2006 11:10 am

A case-study at YouTube. And I'm not embedding this one because he might find out and beat the crap out of me.


The man really does have the least self-awareness of any relatively intelligent writer I know (this does not include, say, the Thomas Friedmans and David Brookses of the world, who are both self-oblivious and dumb). How could anyone forget Sullivan's epic paean to testosterone, written before he had the manly virtues of war to focus on?

At that point [before testosterone injections] I weighed around 165 pounds. I now weigh 185 pounds. My collar size went from a 15 to a 17 1/2 in a few months; my chest went from 40 to 44. My appetite in every sense of that word expanded beyond measure. Going from napping two hours a day, I now rarely sleep in the daytime and have enough energy for daily workouts and a hefty work schedule. I can squat more than 400 pounds. Depression, once a regular feature of my life, is now a distant memory. I feel better able to recover from life's curveballs, more persistent, more alive. These are the long-term effects. They are almost as striking as the short-term ones.

Because the testosterone is injected every two weeks, and it quickly leaves the bloodstream, I can actually feel its power on almost a daily basis. Within hours, and at most a day, I feel a deep surge of energy. It is less edgy than a double espresso, but just as powerful. My attention span shortens. In the two or three days after my shot, I find it harder to concentrate on writing and feel the need to exercise more. My wit is quicker, my mind faster, but my judgment is more impulsive. It is not unlike the kind of rush I get before talking in front of a large audience, or going on a first date, or getting on an airplane, but it suffuses me in a less abrupt and more consistent way. In a word, I feel braced. For what? It scarcely seems to matter.
...
The Big T correlates with energy, self-confidence, competitiveness, tenacity, strength and sexual drive. When you talk to men in testosterone therapy, several themes recur. "People talk about extremes," one man in his late 30's told me. "But that's not what testosterone does for me. It makes me think more clearly. It makes me think more positively. It's my Saint Johnswort." A man in his 20's said: "Usually, I cycle up the hill to my apartment in 12th gear. In the days after my shot, I ride it easily in 16th." A 40-year-old executive who took testosterone for bodybuilding purposes told me: "I walk into a business meeting now and I just exude self-confidence. I know there are lots of other reasons for this, but my company has just exploded since my treatment. I'm on a roll. I feel capable of almost anything."

2 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    JB's been workin out!

    Also, I always disagree with you about Brooks. He's very observant/clever on the News Hour. It's just that he's also calculated about his role as a shaper of public opinion. He's a rabble rouser.

    (and his politics, of course, stink)

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    Btw, that guy never intended his video to be posted on YouTube. His sister found it and posted it. He thinks he's just posing for himself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com