Left Behinds

The anti-andrewsullivan.com. Or, the Robin Hood (Maid Marian?) of bright pink Blogger blogs.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Guilt-free AC

I use a fair amount of electricity. You think all this Web-surfing to find YouTube videos is easy? Non-non-non. So a couple of days ago I switched my electricity provider to 100% wind power; now I can run my AC nonstop and not feel guilty about global warming.

I wouldn't mention it except that the whole reason I thought to do it was someone at a party said they'd switched. I figure if I remind you all that it's possible, maybe a couple of you will do it too.

As a bonus, enjoy more fun from the Japanese!



Horrifying.


UPDATE: More wind-powered crazy shit below.



Germany is insane.



Um. Yum!



The man who takes his clothes off within ten seconds.



Carl Lewis



And the first appearance of the Great Cornholio.



9 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So how could I do this? I assumed that my electricity provider, like my cable provider, was chosen for me, monopolistically. Not so?

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    I don't know how it works in CA, but here in New York you can go on your monopoly electricity delivery company's website (ConEd, in my case) and pick a provider. I'd be surprised if you can't do the same out there.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    Try this.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Do air conditioners still spit out chlorofluorocarbons? I'm not asking that facetiously, I'm genuinely wondering if they've improved the technology since the last time I paid any attention (somewhere around 1991).

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    Man, don't harsh my cool.

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    According to Wikipedia, most home air conditioners use HCFCs today, and

    Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) is one of a class of haloalkanes where not all hydrogen has been replaced by chlorine or fluorine. They are used primarily as chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) substitutes, as the environmental effects are only about 10% of the CFCs. When the chlorine is reduced to zero, these compounds are known as hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), with even less environmental effects.

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Heh, indeed, Emma, I haven't witnessed that much scatalogical glee since Emerson declared "I made!"

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks A.O.! I am now a participant in the Los Angeles Department of Water & Power's Green Energy Program.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    Hooray for deregulation!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com