Left Behinds

The anti-andrewsullivan.com. Or, the Robin Hood (Maid Marian?) of bright pink Blogger blogs.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Bloggers in New York, part II

About a week ago, I addressed the question of why, as I put it then, "New York is not experiencing [a] bottom-up, internet-led, grassroots vs. party machine resurgence."

Since then, coming out of this truly insane comment thread at The Daily Politics (see also this follow-up), I've come up with another theory: people are taking this shit too personally. Usually I feel the reverse is true--people don't take politics personally enough, certainly don't believe often enough that it affects them personally. But something's going wrong here. In the last few weeks, two of the more insightful, well-connected bloggers in the nascent New York political scene, Gatemouth and Rock Hackshaw, have called it quits purely because things are getting so abusive. I often disagreed with both of them, but I found Gatemouth very entertaining, and Rock came up with some interesting scoops.

I don't know what's driving this nastiness. Contrary to stereotype, I've usually found New Yorkers to be nice enough. (Just yesterday a complete stranger bought my girlfriend a cake and bubble pipe when he heard we were all out celebrating her birthday. ) At any rate, the blog triumphalism I've been reading everywhere in the aftermath of the YearlyKos conference seems like another world from what's going on at the moment in New York.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Plus our political machines are much more 19th century than in most cities.

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Also, do you really believe Gatemouth called it quits? Blogging is an addiction, and the stars portend a relapse, and quick.

     
  • At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Solomon knows from whence he speaks. Take a peek at Room 8 otto; I left you a gift.

    Not back fulltime, just visiting.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I don't know what's driving this nastiness."

    Could it just be that Ben Smith is actually a lousy repor... er guy with a couple of websites?

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Yeah, I'm starting to lose my faith in Ben Smith.

    Nice to see Gatemouth back in action.

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    Ben Smith's value was never in his reporting. He threw things out there, often without much reflection, and his commenters provided most of the interesting action and insight. It was a good forum for discussion. So he hasn't changed; his commenters have. They've gotten mean.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com