Left Behinds

The anti-andrewsullivan.com. Or, the Robin Hood (Maid Marian?) of bright pink Blogger blogs.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Irony is gay

In response to my righteously kicking George Pataki's ass, Phoebe Evergreen wrote:

I wish more politicians were bad, because then I could read you making fun of them more. Too bad!


That, gentle readers, is irony (you can tell because he's suggesting there's a dearth of bad politicians). Unfortunately, Phoebe, using irony means you have to divorce your wife.

“The gay sensibility,” one speaker informed the audience, is ironic and characterized by the excessively performative use of “air quotes.” Indeed, irony itself is a gay invention, a coping mechanism for gay people who recognize that they don’t really fit in with normal society.


Which teaches us immediately that Elizabeth Castelli is herself a raging 'mo.

Some speakers read graphically explicit material found on gay websites to the conference, apologizing profusely for the shock and disgust they knew they would be generating but insisting that it was necessary for the participants to confront this material. By the end, one was left with the distinct impression that the organizers and participants in the conference spend far more time than the average gay person thinking about, talking about, and fantasizing about gayness.


Anyway, I wouldn't mind making a regular feature of insulting politicians from a safe distance. Nominees?

Tags: gay, irony, war on christianity, culture

4 Comments:

  • At 2:02 AM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Oh, but you skipped this gem:

    Meanwhile, Lou Sheldon of the Traditional Values Coalition urged the abandonment of the terms “homosexual” and “gay” in favor of adopting terms such as “sodomites” and “the perverted ones.”

    I think that as she typed that, Elizabeth was tittering as loudly as I was when I read it.

    Anyhow, on the one hand, I hate when irony is used as an excuse for being an apathetic, de facto reactionary. But on the other hand, I learned early on that employing it is the easiest way to seem smarter than you actually are, and that's always useful.


    -The Perverted One

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Btw, notice how many excessively performative air quotes she used in that piece, directly after citing them as the primary indicator of polymorphous perversity? It was a formalist way of letting us know her sympathies.

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Josh K-sky said…

    I suppose I should apologize for that. Irony is dead; you have to like what you own and mean what you say now. I need a kind of not-so-scary-quotes that means, "I'm really just being silly -- I'm not even making fun of the kind of person who would say such a thing." Clown quotes. Quotes that say, "Let's all imagine a world in which were true and say, 'Ahhhh.'"

    This reminds me of the time Might magazine published a list of "funny-guy-in-public cheese" -- you know, like going to a museum and saying "My kid could do that", not because you don't understand art but because you know that's a funny thing to say to make fun of someone who doesn't understand art. I brought the magazine home and Antid Oto said, "They really nailed you."

    And since when is having to divorce my wife now a requirement for being gay? I mean, for scare quotes, maybe.

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger Josh K-sky said…

    By the way, I thought it over, and I am going to divorce my wife. I think it was the irony.

    Left Behinds called it first!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com