Left Behinds

The anti-andrewsullivan.com. Or, the Robin Hood (Maid Marian?) of bright pink Blogger blogs.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Now I ain't sayin she a gold digga


This New Haven Advocate interview with Lieberman challenger Ned Lamont tries to paint him as cool and salt of the earth, but to my ear he just sounded like a typical fake politico. When he claims he's a big Kanye West fan, I'm reminded of this Courtney Love moment at a Hollywood fundraiser:

Gore comes up and goes, 'I'm a really big fan',' said Love. 'And I was like, 'Yeah, right. Name a song, Al'.' The answer came limply back: 'I can't name a song, I'm just a really big fan.'
I'd like to hear Lamont's favorite Kanye track.

Or take this bit about the strikes at the Sikorski plant (one of the last big manufacturers in southern Connecticut):
Lamont says that if he were senator, he'd go to management and speak up for the workers' ultimate loyalty. "I'd say, "They've been working for you for many years.' I'd keep going back and say, "They want to stay.'"
Yeah, right. Name the last time a senator got involved in a labor dispute, Ned. "I can't name a time, I'm just a really big fan of The People."*

Overall, Mr. Lamont strikes me as oleaginous. Still better than Lieberman, though. A rotted pumpkin as Senator would be better than Lieberman.

Unfortunately, according to the Hartford Advocate,

Even if Lamont decides to run and does draw interest among registered Democrats, could he get the support of the local Democratic Party activists who will attend the primary convention? Fairfield University politics professor John Orman said that to get on the primary ballot so voters have a chance to pick him over Lieberman, Lamont would first need to receive the support of 15 percent of the town committee members who are convention delegates.

Orman, who briefly ran against Lieberman last year until it was clear he had little support, said he´s only heard of two or three Democratic Town Committee chairs who have spoken up against Lieberman, out of some 200 town committees. The strong institutional resistance to challengers helps explain why Lieberman is in his 18th year as senator and will probably serve another six years.



* He might say this in my counterfactual.


Tags:,,, , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    I think Ned Lamont's interest is less as a potential Senator, in part because he's never going to be elected, and more as your classic protest candidate. He stands in for all the dissatisfaction Democrats feel with their congressional leaders. And he's clearly annoying Lieberman.

    Also, as I can't remember what other blogger pointed out, how fucking wrong is it to twist what Kanye West actually said ("George Bush doesn't care about black people.") so that it's ungrammatical and therefore somehow "blacker?"

     
  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    I'm not sure that's a fair comparison, by the way. Gore was meeting Courtney at a social function, where the polite thing to say among asskissy types is "I'm such a big fan." She called him on it, and good for her. But Lamont is actually volunteering Kanye West as a fave, though from the context it's not clear whether all he likes is the fact that Kanye basically called Bush a fraud on national TV. But wouldn't that be enough?

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    Heh, you are such a Gore apologist. If Courtney had to endure fake "I'm such a fan" from every politician at those fundraisers, she wouldn't have singled Gore out. He must have been remarkable. He has a problem with gilding the lily, and my Courtney called him out on it.

    For half a minute I was getting excited about Lamont, but you're probably right that it's just a wasted vote. Maybe I should get excited about the Green candidate, since at least a vote for him would be a vote for getting Green candidates automatically included in future debates, etc.

     
  • At 12:44 AM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    No, I think it's worth getting excited about Lamont. If he has a good showing in the primary, it will send a much, much stronger message to the DC Democratic establishment than any Green candidacy could ever do.

     
  • At 12:47 AM, Blogger Josh K-sky said…

    You know, I'm a Courtney Love fan--or at least a defender--and I can't name a single song. I know there's one about cake, though. So if I was Gore, I would have said, "The one about the cake."

     
  • At 12:47 AM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    And I actually thought I was being a Lamont apologist, not a Gore apologist. The context for his "fandom" made it much clearer he was just trying to kiss ass than the context for Lamont's.

     
  • At 1:53 AM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    "I want to be the girl with the most cake
    He only loves those things because he loves to see them break
    I fake it so real I am beyond fake
    And someday you will ache like I ache
    And soooomeday you will ache like I ache."

    Classic, classic song. All Courtney's lyrics, mostly Kurt's music. If Courtney asked me to name a favorite song, I would go into her unreleased back catalogue (the autobiographical "Retard Girl" is probably my favorite --"Retard girl makes us sick
    Retard, poke her with a stick
    Well she walks funny, kind of like a pig
    Gotta hate that retard girl!")
    But, of course, the first thing I would say to her wouldn't be "I'm a huge fan!" (even though that's true), it would be "what the FUCK did you do to your face?"

    Anyhow, yeah, I guess I misunderstood your point about Gore. I thought you were saying he was excusable because that was the norm at a fundraiser. You're probably right, though, that Lamont can at least hum along to Jesus Walks or Golddigger (though I'd like to watch him attempt to sing the chorus "but she ain't messing wit no broke nigga").

    I'm not sure how meaningful a futile Lamont vote is. I'll think more about it.

     
  • At 2:13 AM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    As opposed to what? It's a primary vote. You can still vote for a Green in the general if you're still living in CT.

     
  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    No, I realized that about the primary. I just meant, is it worth focusing resources on a futile challenge to Lieberman, when there are other races that could potentially swing control of the Senate?

    (p.s. if I'm still in CT in November it will be six feet under)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com