Left Behinds

The anti-andrewsullivan.com. Or, the Robin Hood (Maid Marian?) of bright pink Blogger blogs.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

What's Your American Accent?

I was so horrified by the results of this quiz (I actually screamed at my computer "No, people ask if I'm from Europe, not Wisconsin, thank you very much!") that I just made my friend take it on the phone. When she got a result that reflected our real upbringing (Connecticut) I had her explain to me each of her answers. Try as she might, she couldn't get me to hear the differences between 'Mary,' 'merry,' and 'marry.' I know I'm too old to blame my parents for things, but my mother is from Pittsburgh. Surely that's a sort of all-trumping grandfather clause.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Northeast
Philadelphia
The South
The Midland
North Central
The West
Boston
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes


And, frustratingly for those of us who have just been accused of calling soda 'pop,' it turns out the quiz is actually based on standard linguistic analysis.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:13 AM, Blogger Antid Oto said…

    According to the test I have no accent, thank you very much.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said…

    That non-accent is what I thought I was going to get.

    Oh well, Emma B and I can get together to chat in our whorrible accents and stab each others' eyes out with pens/pins. It will be a Mary ol' time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com